Title

Walk with me...as I share this incredible journey.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Facing My Fears!

I’m afraid of heights.  I don’t like the queasy feeling I get in my stomach when I look down.  I break out into a cold sweat, and I sometimes have difficulty breathing.  It doesn’t matter where I am, on a mountain, in a glass elevator, on top of a tall building – I just don’t like heights. 
Yesterday, I had an opportunity to confront that fear head-on.  Some time back in the spring, I won tickets from a local radio station to Stone Mountain Park.  The tickets were good for just about everything – and yesterday, we went with a couple of friends to the park.  It was a drizzly kind of day – but that kept the crowds away.  We had a blast exploring to our hearts’ content – and did very nearly everything we wanted to do.  One of the things that I particularly wanted to do was the Skyhike.  This is a quarter mile adventure course that takes place up in the air.  There are three levels:  the 12-foot high trail for beginners, the 24-foot high trail for intermediates, and the 40-foot high trail for the truly courageous.  Given that it was a little wet (and therefore slick) and that I REALLY don’t like heights, I opted for the 12-foot trail.  This is a series of platforms built in a large circle, with various beams, ropes, etc. strung between the platforms.  The person negotiating the trail is in a harness that is secured into a track system above the trail.  There is enough slack that a misstep will cause a fall of somewhere between one and two feet. 
My first section wasn’t too bad.  There are two choices at every platform – and I chose the solid plank with handholds across.  The second section was a little scarier – a solid plank with nothing to hold onto – or two cables that had vertical cables to grab as you walked across.  I chose the cables – and after the second step, I was ready to quit.  Those cables bounce and move, and feel quite unsteady beneath your feet!  But I made it across that section, and eventually across the rest of the sections.  To my delight – I didn’t slip once!  (Maybe yoga HAS improved my balance!)  When I stepped off the trail, I cannot begin to describe the relief, but also the pride in that I faced something that has always bothered me – and did this anyway!  I was pouring sweat, my heart was racing, and I was shaking and taking gulps of air – but I DID IT!
There was another set of fears that I faced on this trail – and those were the fears I have long struggled with as an obese person:  will I fit?  Will it hold me?  Maybe I shouldn’t even try it.  Nobody else in my party wanted to do this with me, so I went by myself up to the person who was strapping on the harnesses and told her that I had recently dropped a lot of weight but I still wasn’t sure if the harness would fit.  She smiled and explained that not only did it fit, but also she would have to tighten it quite a bit to make sure that it would be safe.  She didn’t seem to have any qualms about the structure holding me.  I’m really glad I didn’t have to test it – but I think I was well within the parameters for weight.
There is something immeasurably empowering about facing a fear – and overcoming it.  I DID IT!  (And the friends with me took pictures to prove it – which I will post as soon as I get them!  The picture I DID post is from the Stone Mountain website, and shows one of the sections.)  I proved to myself that not only can I face a fear, but I can conquer my fear.  Do I want to do this again?  Not necessarily.  I’m not addicted to the adrenalin rush.  I’ve made my point.  I’ve faced my fear.  But if I were in a group of people who wanted to do it, I know that I COULD do it.  And bit by bit I’m chipping away at those voices in my head that tell me I’m too fat…I made a memory – I had fun – and I’m glad I did it!

No comments:

Post a Comment