Title

Walk with me...as I share this incredible journey.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

FREEDOM!

Last night I was watching a popular makeover show that deals primarily with helping people learn what styles work with their bodies.  The young woman in this week’s show quite possibly had the worst self-image of anyone I have ever seen.  Having suffered from this for nearly all of my life, I felt a great deal of sympathy and empathy for her.  When she went shopping, she had a meltdown on camera when a few things didn’t fit her body correctly.  The hosts of the show pointed out that she assumed SHE was a failure, because a few articles of clothing didn’t work for her.  The truth is, those particular shirts or pants failed to fit her body – so she just needed to look for something else.  With their guidance, she was able to find clothes that fit and flattered her shape, and truly worked for her.  But the years of negative thinking will take more than a week to undo.  She has a journey ahead of her.
It made me think of the negative thinking in my life.  I’m quick to notice the parts that droop and sag.  I’m quick to dislike the bits that stick out “funny.”  I often find myself saying, “I can’t wear that…it won’t look good.”  And I have a number of friends who do the same thing to themselves.  Let’s be honest – when I look at my friends, I don’t see their “thunder thighs” or their “paunchy” stomachs.  I see the light in their eyes, the love in their hearts, and the beauty that God has bestowed on them.  I see loveliness, not repulsiveness.  The ugly places they see on their bodies do not even register to me. 
Imagine the freedom we would all experience, if we would try to see ourselves as others see us.  A friend recently commented that she thinks of me as “girly” (in response to a previous blog where I stated I have never seen myself that way.)  That statement catches me off guard – yet, if I would just relax, perhaps I would realize that I’m not nearly the freak I have always thought I was. 
That is going to be one of my new goals – to try to improve the negative self-image I have carried so long, and in the process to affirm and reaffirm my friends and acquaintances who face the same problem.  Together, we CAN make a change – in how we see ourselves and how we see others.  Can there be anything more liberating?
“To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples.  Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”  (John 8:31, 32, NIV)
And while I’m speaking of freedom, it looks like I will be getting a new (to me) car today.  A 1994 Buick Century.  It’s not a beautiful car, but it does get from Point A to Point B.  I won’t have to rely on others for transportation.  I can run errands.  I can go to the doctor’s office, or to the chiropractor, without having to find a ride. 

No comments:

Post a Comment