Title

Walk with me...as I share this incredible journey.

Monday, August 8, 2011

I Won't Do THAT Again...

Friday afternoon, after work, I needed to take some paperwork to a neighbor – she and I share the Clubhouse Coordinator duties at our subdivision, and she will be on duty for August and September.  It was very, very hot – with a heat index well over 100°.  The distance is less than the distance to the pool, so I set off.  Going wasn’t too bad – and I had a few moments to rest while at her house.  But coming back, even though I was walking downhill, I could tell that I was quickly becoming dehydrated.  My thirst was growing, and I was sweating profusely, and feeling a little dizzy.  Just a few more steps – then I’ll be home in the air-conditioning, and I can drink my water!  However, there was a big problem; normally, we do not lock the door between the garage and the kitchen.  Every once in a while (maybe three times in the 9 years we have lived there) that door locks itself – just from the normal turning going in and out.  The problem is that I do not have a key with me.  Since I no longer have a vehicle to drive, I no longer carry any of my keys.  Dave was at work, but I had to call him to come open the door.  As I waited, my breathing became more and more difficult, the sweat just poured off of me (I rarely sweat anymore – I’m too cold most of the time!), and I was really worried that I wasn’t going to make it until Dave could get there.  Fortunately, I was able to hold on – he came and opened the door, I got inside to the coolness, drank lots of water, put a cold towel around my neck, and gradually recovered.  We now have hidden a house key in the garage should this ever happen again.  Crisis averted!
As I sat there, wondering if I should actually call 911 while I waited for Dave, it occurred to me that walking in that kind of heat probably wasn’t the smartest thing I have ever done.  Even though my heart HAS improved, the truth remains that I have heart failure, and I have to be careful.  I was in genuine distress.  Had my brain been working, I might have gone and turned on the hose, and just drenched myself.  My brain was not responding well, and I just sat there, dripping sweat and trying to catch my breath.  I hated to call Dave, but I would not have lasted until he came home – sometime near midnight. 
Upon reflection, something else occurs to me:  I have treated my issues with food and my obesity with the same carelessness as I treated my heart last Friday.  There are some things I should never have done – and even today, I have difficulty pinning a reason to my actions.  It took me a long, long time, but the crisis there has been averted as well – I’m a recovering food addict.  I’m not where I want to be or where I intend to be, but I have the key to make this work, and I AM MAKING IT WORK!

No comments:

Post a Comment