Title

Walk with me...as I share this incredible journey.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A Beautiful Quote

Sometimes the hardest part of the journey is believing that you're worthy of the trip.
I found this quote today on the Obesity Help website.  It was as if I was meant to find it.  Not only do I need to hear this – over and over and over again – but also I know so many people who need this message. 
Self-image plays a big part in the journey following weight loss surgery.  Most people have a horrible self-image by the time they actually decide to pursue surgery.  This is intensified by the world we live in – in subtle, and sometimes not so subtle, ways.  Physical beauty is idolized, and anyone who doesn’t meet certain criteria is considered sub-standard.  Many people have had relationships where they are attacked for being less than perfect – which diminishes self-image even further.  While it may not be true of everyone who chooses weight loss surgery, it is a fair bet that many people have only tatters of self-esteem left, which they clutch to themselves, desperately trying not to let anyone see their nakedness and vulnerability underneath.
As much as I would like to say my self-image has improved, and it really has, I can also say I have far to go in this area.  I still need reassurance about the clothes I am wearing.  I still need someone to tell me the advice I have given another person is accurate.  I still need to bounce ideas off a friend to make sure I’m not going wild.  I still want feedback that tells me I’m doing well – in whatever capacity I am currently working. 
Yet I get frustrated with friends who don’t know their worth!  I think I’m a pretty good judge of character and of people.  The people I consider true friends are WORTHY of my friendship – they are funny, and deeply spiritual, and compassionate, and beautiful – without exception.  I WANT them to feel confident and beautiful.  I WANT them to know how much they mean to me!  I WANT them to face their own battles with self-image, and come out victorious!  I TRULY WANT them to believe THEY ARE WORTHY.
Maybe the way for that to happen is for me to win my battle over this.  It has been a journey – and I don’t regret one second of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment