Title

Walk with me...as I share this incredible journey.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

An Interesting Conversation

Last night at church, I had an interesting conversation.  A woman sat down next to me and introduced herself.  We had seen each other but had not officially met.  The conversation wandered as most dialogues do, and she complimented the outfit I was wearing.  I thanked her, and explained that most of my clothes are hand-me-downs, and that I’m really enjoying getting to wear different styles.  This lead to a conversation about the weight that I have dropped.  I showed her my before picture, and we talked some about the differences in my life since the weight is gone.
At the end of the discussion, she got up to leave, and said, “You are really beautiful.”
I was telling my husband about the conversation on the way home.  When I got the part about me being beautiful – he seemed incredulous that I was even questioning that fact, like everyone KNOWS that I’m beautiful.  All of my life, there have been many, many different words used to describe me.  Some of the more flattering are “competent,” “capable,” “talented,” and “loyal.”  There are many more words that are not quite so complimentary.  But in all my life, I don’t think “beautiful” has ever been one of the words that people use when talking about me.
I have always cared much more about being a beautiful person on the inside, than I have cared about being beautiful on the outside.  I want to be a godly woman and someone who is kind and considerate.  I have never aspired to be beautiful by the world’s standards, but I have to admit, there is a part deep within me that basked in that compliment.  Me…beautiful?  Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment