Title

Walk with me...as I share this incredible journey.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Driven to Distraction

Today, on the ride into work, there was a work truck that was all over the road.  As we passed him in the HOV lane, the reason was obvious – the driver was trying to get something out of cooler that was located between the two front seats.  There were several other people in the vehicle who COULD have helped, but the person in the front passenger seat was sleeping.  I don’t know what was so important for this man to get – but he nearly caused several accidents, and I was glad when we were safely around him.
Distracted drivers are a leading cause of automobile accidents.  It takes only a fraction of a second for a car to swerve out of lane – and into another vehicle.  A driver can be distracted visually – looking at anything that takes their eyes off the road.  A driver can be distracted cognitively – engaging in anything that diverts their attention from the task of driving.  And a driver can be distracted manually – having one or both hands off the wheel.  When a driver is distracted in two or more of these areas, the chances of an accident increase exponentially.
Several years ago, the local newspaper ran an article listing what drivers were doing when police pulled them over for reckless driving.  Some of the things on the list were expected – eating, talking on a cell phone, and reading a map.  There were several grooming items on the list – either shaving or putting on make-up.  Dealing with children or pets while driving – also on the list.  My personal favorite was a lady who was putting on pantyhose – while driving a car above the speed limit on a major highway!  (Seriously???  I have difficulty putting on pantyhose under the best of circumstances.  I can’t imagine trying to do it while driving a car at 65+ mph on a crowded Atlanta interstate highway.  It is possible in doing that one would have both feet and both hands engaged – what exactly is guiding the car??)
Now, what does this have to do with my journey following weight loss surgery?  Well, I think that one of the biggest contributing factors to my issues with food and with weight has been distraction.  Historically, when I eat – I am doing a myriad of other things – and NOT concentrating on the food I am putting in my mouth.  Sometimes, I was distracted visually – I must confess, even today, most of my meals are eaten in front of the computer or the television.  I’m distracted cognitively – eating when I’m upset, or bored, or lonely.  And just like these distractions can cause an automobile accident – they can also cause a “diet” accident.  It is far too easy to shovel food in my mouth when I’m not paying attention.  A “few” chips becomes half the bag.  Two cookies become ten cookies.  A handful of nuts becomes the whole container.
I am doing a little better with this.  If I do want chips, for example, I pour some out into a small container – and put the bag away.  I’m less inclined to eat more than a few that way, especially since getting more means getting up and going into another room again.  I think about my food more – and enjoy it more.   Eating with a plan and a purpose takes discipline and takes practice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment