Title

Walk with me...as I share this incredible journey.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

I Can't Believe I Ate the Whole Thing...

I know that I’m showing my age here, but this was the tag line in a series of commercials talking about the indigestion following large meals.  And of course, if you just use a certain brand of antacid, all of your stomach woes will disappear!
I went out to dinner with my parents the other night.  We went to a local diner, known for its great food and enormous portions at very reasonable prices.  Eating out for me now means one of two things:  if I order a meal, I automatically take at least half of it home for another meal (or sometimes two meals); or I just order soup.  Gone are the days when I could chow down on massive quantities of anything.  While we were waiting for our meal, our server brought out the food for the table next to us.  When she set the mounded platter of food in front of the rather large woman, my heart just ached.  This wasn’t out of judgment; I have been there too recently to condemn anyone.  It was because in my not too distant past I was that woman. 
Mom and I talked about portions and how much our lives have changed.  (To Mom’s credit, she is within three pounds of reaching her goal through Weight Watchers.  I’m so proud of her!!!)  She ordered an appetizer.  I ordered a sandwich only, and took half of that home.  Neither of us felt cheated.  Neither of us felt hungry.  Neither of us felt like we needed to eat more.  I wonder how many times I ate what was in front of me for no other reason than IT WAS IN FRONT OF ME.  That surely cannot be a good reason to eat anything!
I wonder how many times someone at a nearby table watched in horror as I cleaned my plate of massive quantities of food.  I wonder if there was someone sitting close who had been there – and wanted so desperately to say something that would somehow break the cycle of addiction to food for me?  I wonder if there was a stranger who ached for me the way my Mom and I ache when we see someone like that woman the other night.  I may never know those things. 
After a particularly rough weekend, where I gained nearly 8 pounds in three days, I’m happy to report that I’m down nearly 6.5 pounds this morning.  Part of that is most likely connected to not sleeping – it has not been a good few days on that front.  Last night, I went to bed considerably earlier than I have been, and slept reasonably well through the night.  Part of that is surely related to eating out – there is much more sodium in food I do not prepare.  I ate out quite a number of times since Thursday evening.  Whatever the reason, I feel better when I am not retaining fluid.

No comments:

Post a Comment