Title

Walk with me...as I share this incredible journey.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

A Rainbow and a Promise...

“And God said, ‘This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth.  Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind.  Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life.  Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth.’”  (Genesis 9:12-16, NIV)
This morning on the way to work, our vanpool received a rare treat – a beautiful rainbow that lasted for several minutes, long enough to get several good pictures on my phone.  I’m not sure exactly what it is about a rainbow, but I get all goofy and excited when I see one. 
Maybe it’s because a rainbow represents the promise of God.  The story of Noah and the ark, and the rainbow symbolizing God’s promise never to destroy the world by water again, is one that I have heard since my very earliest memories.  I’ve always thought that the rainbow was God tying a string around His finger – and every time He sees it, He remembers His pledge.  It is a symbol of hope.
Maybe it’s because I don’t see rainbows every day.  They only appear when conditions are right – the sun is at a certain angle, its rays shining through the drops of rain.  In my life, some of the most beautiful moments happen only when there is a certain combination of “good” (the sun) and “bad” (the rain).  Those moments are rare, but more than special.
Maybe it’s because throughout the centuries there has been much folklore surrounding rainbows.  I love the world of leprechauns and wee people.  I love the Greek myth of Iris who made the rainbow path between Earth and Heaven.  Every culture has its own interpretation of the rainbow, as people attempt to explain something intangible.
Maybe it’s because I love color – and the rainbow contains all of them.  ROY G BIV – Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet.  A rainbow brings life to an otherwise drab moment.  (Believe me, Atlanta rush hour traffic, especially in the rain, is VERY drab.)
I’m sure my love of rainbows is a combination of all of these reasons.  And I’m really glad I saw one today.

No comments:

Post a Comment