Title

Walk with me...as I share this incredible journey.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

A New Doctor

I went to the Rheumatologist today.  I had been warned that he is really, really good at what he does, but doesn’t have the best bedside manner.  I don’t really care if I like him – I just want my knee to feel better.  However, I must say that the assessment was correct – his bedside manner is practically non-existent!
We were discussing what brought me in and I mentioned that I have become more active following the dramatic weight loss.  As I have increased my activity – the pain in my knee also increased to the point that it actually became prohibitive for me to continue.  He asked how many pounds I have dropped, and when I told him 200, his first comment was, “You were a very large woman!”  Yes, I was.  I’m still large, but not nearly where I was.  And I want to continue losing.
Unfortunately, as expected, there isn’t much they can do for my knee.  He said “moderate” deterioration, but quickly added that doesn’t necessarily mean “moderate” pain.  He put me on a pain medication – and wants me to start taking glucosamine and chondroitin – both of which should help the knee.  He wants me to continue to lose weight, saying just that may resolve the problem.  He wants me to walk in a pool – more resistance, and more buoyancy, mean more calories expended with less impact on my knee.  Definitely no treadmills – or Zumba.  L  Overall, it was pretty much what I expected.
I wore a skirt today, thinking it would make examination of my knee easier.  (More about the skirt later.)  I was surprised when I had to strip down to just my panties, and put on a paper gown with a paper covering me from the waist down.  He was looking for other issues – arthritis in other places, signs of lupus, etc., so now it makes sense.  All he found was the knee that just doesn’t want to work.
The skirt I wore is considerably shorter than what I usually wear.  I like the long, Bohemian-style skirts that cover a multitude of shins (pun intended!)  This skirt falls to just below my knees.  It feels like I’m showing way too much leg, but everyone has said it looks really good.  One reason that I haven’t worn my skirts at this length is because I have always had way too much bootie – and skirts and dresses hike up in the back, exposing far more than I want to show.  Today, everyone says that my skirt is hanging evenly – front and back!  I still have plenty of padding, but now there is not a shelf in the back.  My “junk in the trunk” looks a lot better, and that is a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment